January 16, 2013
Snapshots from the 2013 North American International Auto Show aka NAIAS 2013 aka the Detroit Auto Show started yesterday for media & industry. The public show runs Saturday, January 19 through Saturday, January 26. Here are a few quick hits:
- At $12 per person and $6 for seniors and youth, the tickets seem like a pretty great deal.
- It’s once again at the Cobo Center after a number of years at the Renaissance Center. Detroit Auto Show, 1960 is stunning shot at Cobo from Michigan in Pictures that captures the glamor the show once had. I’d be interested in what anyone who has attended in the 60s and recently has to say about the feel of the show.
- They have a Facebook page, but then again is there anyone or anything at this point that doesn’t? They are giving away tickets and posting some nice photos like this birds-eye view of the show floor.
- Concepts? They have concepts, though Jason from Jalopnik says that the Tesla Model X is the only car that really feels like it’s from the future. (I think it’s the doors)
- There’s plenty of green machines at NAIAS 2013, but the International Business times wonders why there’s just one using hydrogen fuel cell technology. Unlike batteries, fuel cells take minutes to recharge and offer greater range.
- Being an off-election year, there are not many politicians to be found, unlike years ago. Danny Glover however, is in Detroit talking about unions.
- Much more coverage of the 2013 Detroit Auto Show at mLive, the Detroit News and the Freep.
More NAIAS on Michigan in Pictures.
January 14, 2011
Michael took this photo at the 2011 North American International Auto Show which opens tomorrow. Collider got to take the Black Beauty for a spin – no word if he used the missiles. The Beauty is a mid 60s Chrysler Imperial – get the specs from Autoblog.
January 13, 2011
“You know what? We’re going to prove one thing. That this is the Motor City, the motor capital of the world. And we’re going to bring it back, in the esteem of the world, to where it should be.”
~Ken Meade, International Auto Show, 1989
It’s time again for the North American International Auto Show aka the Detroit Auto Show. The world’s premier celebration of cars and car culture has lost some of its luster but is still an amazing event.
The NAIAS runs from January 15-25 at the Cobo Center in Detroit and you can get all the details including photos and video at 2011 Detroit Auto Show on Absolute Michigan. An article we link to from the Detroit News is the source of the quotation above and says that 1960 was the first year at Cobo Hall.
January 16, 2010
It’s a measure of how far the auto industry has fallen that I’ve barely heard a peep about the 2010 North American International Auto Show. What was once (still is?) the biggest event in Michigan opens to the public today through January 24th. We’ll hopefully have something on Absolute Michigan next week, but until then, check out the Freep and Detroit News coverage, Jalopnik’s Detroit Auto show page and the NAIAS slideshow in the Absolute Michigan pool, which should be updated as pool photographers attend the show!
Here’s a page on the gull-winged Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG. No word as to whether it’s flux capacitor ready…
January 16, 2009
The 2009 North American International Auto Show takes place January 17-25, 2009 at Cobo Center in Detroit. You can get all kinds of stories about the Detroit Auto Show at Absolute Michigan. One of my favorite stories we’ve posted about it is this great column by Jack Lessenberry. Check it (and the show) out if you can!
This photo is part of a great 300+ picture slideshow from the media preview of the and is courtesy MotorShowNetwork.com and copyright Jochen Siegle/MOtorShowNetwork and shows Chrysler unveiling their ENVI electric-drive vehicle the Jeep Patriot EV at the media preview.
Speaking of slideshows, here’s the auto-magically generated 2009 NAIAS slideshow from Flickr!
January 25, 2008
Sorry. This was a photo that Lexie took this photo of Mazda’s Taiki Concept at the 2008 Detroit Auto Show aka the North American International Auto Show aka The Place Where Car Designers Get To Go Crazy. She had a few more too but they’re now gone because she quit Flickr.
I thought it was probably the quintessential concept car because is made me ask that all important question: Are we ever going to be driving cars that look like this? while simultaneously thinking It would be pretty darned cool if we did!.
Kicking Tires at cars.com took a look at a few 2008 Detroit Auto Show concept car winners and losers and you can read more about the Taiki at Jalopnik.
January 18, 2008
There’s all kinds of celebrity guests at the 2008 North American International Auto Show, including the Mach 5 race car from the forthcoming Speed Racer movie (May 2008). The movie is by Larry and Andy Wachowski (The Matrix) and I have to say that the trailer looks frighteningly fun.
If you want to see the car, go to the NAIAS this weekend. Here’s a bunch of stuff on the 2008 Detroit Auto Show from Absolute Michigan.
January 17, 2007
Spencer calls this a wonderfully crazy concept from Ford and Airstream. As a former Airstream owner, I have to agree!
You can get many more photos of the Ford Airstream Concept on Flick and also in this Ford Airstream photo gallery at Airstream.com. If this wacky ride isn’t your style, you’ll probably find something to your liking in the 2007 North American International Auto Show pool.