The details on the MCS are amazing, especially considering that they were placed where most people would never see them. It was done simply for the sake of art.
The Michigan Central Depot opened in 1913. It closed in January 1987, as Amtrak decided that the station was too large for their operations, and too costly to maintain. It went through many owners, until it ended up in the hands of local businessman Manny Moroun. Manny owns the Ambassador Bridge, as well as the train station and a large amount of land in Southwest Detroit.