Wikipedia’s entry for Green says that the word green comes from the Old English word grene, or, in its older form, groeni. This adjective is closely related to the Old English verb growan meaning “to grow”. Color Psychology – Green says that the color:
- Symbolizes nature and the natural world
- Can improve reading speed and comprehension if you lay a transparent green sheet over the page
- Is often used in decorating for its calming effect as in the “green room”
- May relieve stress and help heal and those who have a green work environment experience fewer stomachaches
- Has long been a symbol of fertility and was once the preferred color choice for wedding gowns in the 15th-century … and then there’s that whole green M&Ms thing
Whether you are out celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with green beer or just feeling the earth shrug off her wintry coat, I hope that today brings you the best of luck and health.