The official Fort Gratiot Lighthouse site relates that:
The Fort Gratiot Lighthouse is the oldest lighthouse in Michigan and the second oldest on the Great Lakes. The first lighthouse in this area was built in 1825 and was located approximately where the first Blue Water Bridge stands. De to poor construction and a storm, it collapsed in 1828. In 1829, a new lighthouse was built north of the military fort by Lucius Lyon, who later became one of Michigan’s first U.S. Senators. The new location made it easier for ships to spot as they entered the rapids at the head of the St. Clair River.
Originally seventy-four feet high, the white painted brick tower was extended to its present height of eighty-six feet in the early 1860s…
The green flashing light that was automated in 1933 may be seen for seventeen miles. The two-story brick lighthouse keeper’s house, with its hipped gable roof and pointed gothic porch, was built in 1874.
Today, a Coast Guard station and the lighthouse watch over one of the busiest waterways in the world.
You can see some historical photos at the link above and get lots more information at Fort Gratiot Lighthouse on Terry Pepper’s Seeing the Light.
Check out many more Michigan Lighthouse on Michigan in Pictures.