Michigan’s 2014 Morel Season has arrived!
May 3, 2014
I’ve started to get reports of morels trickling in from here in Traverse City and other locations in the state. While we’re a ways from full-on morel madness, it’s a good time to start getting excited about the return of this once-a-year woodland delicacy.
Over 7 years, Michigan in Pictures has accumulated a lot of morel features – here are some favorites along with a couple from other sites:
- Over on Absolute Michigan I wrote Five Things You Need to Know about Michigan Morels that has some good info.
- Cherie wrote a great feature on morel collecting on Leelanau.com that includes a recipe.
- When you’re hunting morels, you need to know the difference between true morels and false morels, which are mildly poisonous.
- Here’s a great old photo of mushroomers with BIG baskets from the early days of the Boyne City National Morel Mushroom Festival which returns for its 54th year May 15-18, 2014.
- There’s also the 55th annual Mesick Mushroom Festival next weekend (May 9-11)
- TIME had a feature a few years back that I linked to (also with one of Rick’s photos) in Michigan Mushroom Nation about how mushrooms are becoming as American as apple pie.
- When the Absolute Michigan pool reached its 150,000th photo, I marked the occasion here with one big morel.