The other day I went on a hike. After I got in the car, I belatedly remembered to check for ticks and found TWO just hanging out on my leg.
- Lavender – This smells sweet to us but bugs absolutely hate it. It works on mosquitoes, flies and other insects.
- PennyRoyal – this is a member of the mint family and it is toxic to insects.
- Lemongrass – This essential oil comes from tropical lemongrass and has a citrusy sent. It is a natural flea and tick repellent and can be sprayed directly on the skin.
- Eucalyptus – use this alone or along with citronella oil to keep bugs away. According to the Journal of medical entomology, Eucalyptus extract can reduce tick bites and infections.
- Lemon – some lemon essential oil can work against fleas and other bugs. Slightly dilute it and spray it on your clothing and skin.