Michigan strawberries are starting to roll into farm markets, stores, roadside stands, and people’s gardens. Here’s a few Michigan strawberry facts from the Michigan Department of Agriculture:
- In 2009, Michigan produced 43,000 tons of fresh strawberries and 3,000 tons of processed strawberries, generating $6.6 million
- Most of the fresh Michigan strawberries are picked by consumers at “u-pick” operations around the state
- Strawberries contain 80 percent of the recommended daily allowance of vitamin C
- They are an excellent source of potassium, which can help control blood pressure and fight strokes
- They are an excellent source of fiber, which help reduce total cholesterol levels
You can check out this feature on Michigan strawberries at Absolute Michigan for links to U-Pick farms and more.
More Michigan strawberries on Michigan in Pictures.