Detroit Flood by Camera Jesus
On Friday night as much as 7″ of rain fell in the city of Detroit creating a truly nightmarish situation as the New York Times reports:
Up to seven inches of rain fell early on Saturday in parts of Detroit and Wayne County, Mich., stranding hundreds of vehicles on flooded freeways and prompting the rescue of about 50 drivers, officials said.
“This isn’t normal here,” said Lt. Michael Shaw, a spokesman for the Michigan State Police. “Every freeway in the county had some level of flooding.”
By 3 p.m. Saturday, the authorities counted about 350 vehicles that had been damaged in the flooding.
“Some suffered some type of wire damage, some had water up to the top of their tires, some had it up to windows, and some were completely submerged,” Lieutenant Shaw said. “A lot of people thought they could make it through the water, but there was just no way.”
You can see some shots reader-submitted shots from across the city at Click on Detroit.
The photo was taken Saturday on I-94 aka the Edsel Ford Freeway by Joe Gall aka Camera Jesus. Click the pic for several more shots, follow him @camera_jesus on Instagram & for sure check out his website to view and purchase his work!
More Michigan flooding including the Detroit Flood of 2014 on Michigan in Pictures.
LFA by JSFauxtaugraphy, photo by JSFauxtaugraphy
Snapshots from the 2013 North American International Auto Show aka NAIAS 2013 aka the Detroit Auto Show started yesterday for media & industry. The public show runs Saturday, January 19 through Saturday, January 26. Here are a few quick hits:
- At $12 per person and $6 for seniors and youth, the tickets seem like a pretty great deal.
- It’s once again at the Cobo Center after a number of years at the Renaissance Center. Detroit Auto Show, 1960 is stunning shot at Cobo from Michigan in Pictures that captures the glamor the show once had. I’d be interested in what anyone who has attended in the 60s and recently has to say about the feel of the show.
- They have a Facebook page, but then again is there anyone or anything at this point that doesn’t? They are giving away tickets and posting some nice photos like this birds-eye view of the show floor.
- Concepts? They have concepts, though Jason from Jalopnik says that the Tesla Model X is the only car that really feels like it’s from the future. (I think it’s the doors)
- There’s plenty of green machines at NAIAS 2013, but the International Business times wonders why there’s just one using hydrogen fuel cell technology. Unlike batteries, fuel cells take minutes to recharge and offer greater range.
- Being an off-election year, there are not many politicians to be found, unlike years ago. Danny Glover however, is in Detroit talking about unions.
- Much more coverage of the 2013 Detroit Auto Show at mLive, the Detroit News and the Freep.
Check this out background bigtacular and see more in Joseph’s NAIAS 2012 slideshow.
More NAIAS on Michigan in Pictures.
Winter Driving, photo by p912s (Scot)
On Absolute Michigan we just updated a feature on the Winter Driving School offered at Michigan Tech. It has some great tips and a very nice video that can help to make you a better winter driver today – click here to check it out!
Check this out background big and see more in Scot’s Winter slideshow.